I really should be in bed but I just can't close my eyes without capturing some of today's memories...
For much of our time here in turkey, we've been traveling by bus. Last night our bus driver brought his 3-4 year old son along, he was an adorable little boy. When arriving at the hotel, I asked, through translation, if the driver would wait for me to go get a treat for his son and he agreed. Others arrived showering him with gifts as well. It was so fun to see that even though we could not speak, I saw the excitement in his eyes when I presented him with a neon glowing bracelet and necklace! That was probably one of dad's best days at work for that little guy! :)
Today, we planned to meet with the head of the Chamber of Commerce to discuss the textile sector. Not needing a bus for 4 people, Midhat decided to drive us. Hmm...should there be any concern when the driver gets in and fastens his seat belt but the passengers do not have seat belts to fasten? :) It was a joy ride! While in buses, the speed and navigation among vehicles and people, is at a little slower speed than when driving in a vehicle I'd compare to a Ford Aspire. Really, the driving was pretty safe, it's just interesting to watch how the traffic flows and parks. I'd realistically have to call it organized chaos. In my 5 days in Turkey, I've only seen one car accident which was today. Mid ride I started to laugh and knew tonights blog would be titled ride of my life...
Our meeting was in the city center. There was a lot of activity happening in the streets, people all seemingly going about their business yet taking a double look as they see a Turkish man leading a Chinese man, an Indian woman, and an American woman down the street. It's great people watching to see the expressions on the faces of the locals.
We enjoyed many cups of Turkish Tea today and an assortment of baklava. A meeting doesn't conclude without sharing tea together. I've wanted to eat authentic baklava since finding out I was coming to Turkey. Midhat ordered us a sample of baklava after our meeting at the chamber. I was afraid of the portion he was ordering but he told me not to worry...I should have known better! The plate arrived with 5 different types of baklava for each of us to try. Twenty pieces in all for four of us!!!!
TURKISH WARNING: Eat and drink in MODERATION!