Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's simply another mystery meal...


This past weekend, we took a trip through the countryside to Nemrut Mountain.  There's an incredible amount of history in this region.   Nemrut Mountain is a 7,001 ft high mountain in southeastern Turkey, notable for the summit where a number of large statues is erected around what is assumed to be a royal tomb from the first century BCE.

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Nemrut




 
To keep in the spirit of the history of Greek mythology, I purchased a souvineer of Hestia.  In the simplest of terms, she is the Goddess of Health and Hearth.

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hestia

What did Hestia cook to eat?  How did she cook it?  Was it influential in the development of today's Turkish dishes?  Despite the fact that most restraunt menus are in Turkish and I have no knowledge of what I'm ordering, the food has all been quite tasty!  Every meal is a mystery but much to my delight!  There is a large variety of fruits and vegetables  grown in Turkey.  Every meal is the perfect mixture of produce, herbs and spices that create a taste like no other.  Please don't tell the travel clinic I've been sneaking bites of the fresh produce...so far, it's been SO good!!!  Each meal is a delicately created master piece from the local chefs...beautiful, in abundance and DELICIOUS!


                             


Afiyet olsun!