Thursday, October 28, 2010

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education...Albert Einstein

Today was a great day for a field trip!  While I remember field trips being some of the best days of my school years, I have a sneaking suspicion that our field trip to two local elementary schools may also be a memorable day for the Turkish students as well!  Before the students realized we'd arrived, we could see that the halls and bulletin boards where decorated similar to what we see in the US.

 The innocence and the curiosity of a child never gets old...

As we'd expected, we were quickly recognized as foreign visitors.  The initial entry into the school was quite calm and we were able to quickly proceed to the school president’s office.  After a brief discussion and partaking in tea and fruits, we began our tour of the school.  You could see curiosity growing in the hallways as the group surrounding us started to grow larger and larger as we walked down the hall.  If the school officials wouldn't have known better, the reaction could have possibly been mistaken as the Jonas Brothers entering the building!  :)  The children were eager to shake our hands and proudly practice some English greetings with our group.  A number of times throughout the day, people on the CSC team were asked to provide autographs.

This could quite easily have been classified as a mob invasion!  While we often receive royal treatment in Turkey, I can’t help but wonder if today’s feeling was anything like what Princess Diana would experience in working with the children…although probably on an even larger scale.  

As we were walking through the playground at the state school, I decided to start passing out a stack of stickers I had brought along.  HELP!!!!  I wish the attracted attention would have been due to significant contributions rather than for a couple of silly stickers but for that moment, I could see…NOTHING MORE THAN HANDS ACTUALLY!  It was quite an experience!  A couple of times I had to push on through the crowd to break away as they were grabbing at my bag and anything I had in my hands.  As I broke away, I could see all the “little guys” trailing the mob as well.  The little guys still have my heart so I had to quickly identify them and tuck the stickers in their little hands to ensure they weren’t robbed of my small token of admiration.
  
A smile is truly worth a thousand words...

 

All children in Turkey start learning English in Kindergarten.  While they grow to be very good at English grammar, and understanding spoken English we were told they aren’t as comfortable in speaking the language due to the lack of practice.  I could see the joy in their faces in being able to greet us in English however, a universal smile can say so much more!  

The kids are dressed  in honor of Republic day of Turkey.

  

We may be seen as super human in the eyes of these children but humbly I know we are one in the same simply having different life experiences.  While IBM ties this CSC team together, among us we are the simplest things:  pilots, belly dancers, movie stars, rednecks, gypsies, football players, and so many more!   :)