Thursday, September 9, 2010

Success

I have had the following poem posted in my office for years.  It has been adapted from an original verse by Bessie Anderson Stanley.  I have always hoped to be successful...the poem highlights that success for me is not a point in time nor an award or a status, it is a reputation that must be built throughout life.  I've often wondered how I can touch the world in a deeper way.  Being selected as part of the CSC is an honor and a privilege.  While I know the experience will be awesome, I wonder what more is yet to come as I work to succeed.  This is a journey along the way... 

To laugh often and much,
To win the respect of intelligent people
And the affection of children...
To leave the world a bit better…
To know even one life had breathed easier
Because you had lived,
This is to have succeeded.